Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Where I hope be that day

THEATRE IN THE PARKS
MOLIÈRE: The Schemer
Saturday, August 4th @ 7pm in English

I like the French title better. As usual, it's twice as long as the English version, but it really gives you more of a sense of the mischievous nature of the play.

Les Fourberies de Scapin.

I have never read any Molière. I have read Dumas and many other French writers, but never Molière. Hell, while I'm at it, I might as well admit I've never even read a whole lot of Shakespeare.

I noticed that the paper advertising the play made a spelling mistake. My friend and client M. tells me I could call them out on this and get free tickets.

This is not something that ever occurred to me.

3 comments:

Chunks said...

I've only read Shakespeare because I had to. I try to read purely for pleasure, no crazy languages or hard to understand plot lines. LOL!

lattégirl said...

Thou shalt, etc.

Kate said...

NOOOO - you must go and see Molière! It's great mischievous satire even in English translations (all I’ve ever seen, naturally).

As for Shakespeare, Chunks, I used to direct part of a Shakespeare Company for kids and teenagers. My group was the sixth grade - junior high group. They got it because they knew not to be afraid of it.

Iambic pentameter (which most of the plays use - except occasionally the counterpoint of kinds of "free verse" for "lower" characters, to show contrast) is the language of the HEARTBEAT. I'm serious.

The argument certainly exists that Shakespeare is meant to be seen rather than read (since the plays were first written out as "sides" - which were simply the parts for each actor with the cue lines).

I would still say that one can enjoy reading it once they get into the natural rhythm...

Dramatic Kate of Le monde de Kate de fromage