Friday, June 1, 2007

Blue moon, skunky nights

From this site.

"Once in a blue moon."


You have probably heard this expression before. It usually means not very often. But, is there really such a thing?

According to David Wilton’s fabulous Word Origins web site, the phrase Blue Moon probably started with an anonymous poem from 1528, Read me and be not wrothe, For I say no things but truth:

"If they say the moon is blue,
"We must believe that it is true."

Calling the moon blue was an obvious absurdity, like saying it was made of green cheese. The phrase, “until a blue moon” developed in the 19th century, meaning never, or at least extremely unlikely.


Whether you use the newer definition or the one from the Maine Farmer’s Almanac, a blue moon, while not common, happens on a regular basis. Either way, they occur approximately 7 times in a 19 year period.


Eh. So it's not that blue or uncommon, but I might say, people who actually pay me back the money they owe? That would pretty much be once in a blue moon.

Enjoy the full blue moon tonight, friends! The cloud cover here prevents me from seeing it. Poop!


Know what I did see tonight, up close, which could be considered unusual?


Pepe LePew! Ooh yeah, baby! Anybody with a working nose would have known right away, but me? Hahaha! I walked up to the dumpster to put some garbage in and guess what scooted away, right under my feet, with a white stripe on its tail the size of a wide paintbrush! Naturally, I was enchanted, and tried to follow it around the corner of the building, then thought twice and realized that was a very, very stupid thing to do.


Cute little bugger, though. I want one.


Skunks are members of the weasel family (Mustelidae). There are four species of skunk in North America: striped skunks (Mephitis mephitis), hooded skunks (M. macroura), spotted skunks (Spilogale putorius), and scarce hognosed skunks (Conepatus mesoleucus). - from http://www.projectwildlife.org/living-skunks.htm


Skunks are very adaptable and often find food and nesting sites around human habitations. The best protection against them is to modify your habitat to limit resources available to them.


Like Bears! Just like Stephen Colbert's Threat List!



TIPS
1. Do not feed skunks. They can easily become dependent on human food sources. (That means I want one as a pet. Shut up.)
2. Never leave pet food outside. (Uh oh.)
3. Never discard edible garbage where skunks can get to it. (Dumpster! Not guilty!)
4. Secure garbage containers and eliminate their odors. Use a small amount of ammonia or cayenne pepper in the garbage to discourage scavenging. (Hmm. Might mention this to the landlord.)


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with wanting a skunk for a pet. They're cute! :)

Thanks for the tip about a small amount of ammonia or cayenne pepper in the garbage - I will keep that in mind when I put my garbage outside in the hotter summer months.

Anonymous said...

I didn't know blue moons were that uncommon. I always thought a blue moon was a second full moon in one month. Oh well. I did enjoy it. :)

We get skunks around here all the time in the summer. They come into town to eat pet food and garbage. We saw a huge one run across the street once. It must have been eating well for a long time cuz that bugger was BIG! lol