Friday, October 5, 2007

Thanksgiving

Canadian Thanksgiving is next Monday and I have the dubious pleasure of working. I need to inquire with the labour standards commission if I am supposed to be paid time-and-a-half, but I doubt that will be the case since I've only been on the job 2 full weeks and am, technically, still on "probation."

I was a little dismayed at the prospect of having to work, but then I remembered
various siblings who've worked Christmases and other holidays... and while they didn't love it, they didn't complain much. You gotta do what you gotta do, and they managed, so I'm sucking it up.

Fortunately, the Teen and I can still do Thanksgiving dinner together, and I'll ask him if maybe he has a friend or two who'd like to join us. I work until 3 PM that day, which leaves me time to cook (although not a whole turkey!) and enjoy a meal. Although, basically, I could feed the Teen pumpkin pie with whipped cream and nothing else, and he would be thrilled.


5 comments:

WalksFarWoman said...

I do love turkey but it makes me groan because there is so much to eat! Still it's a long time between Easter and Christmas our two turkeys fests so I'm always ready for it!

We don't have many pumpkins for sale in the UK which is a shame since I know you all have such fantastic recipes for it.

Thanks for visiting my blog, it's always lovely to meet and greet cheery new friends. :)

Chunks said...

When Darin has to work, we just have it on a different day. Or eat late. Or order chinese food. The important thing is that you have a meal with loved ones and then feel thankful. I think.

Anonymous said...

Chunks basically sumed up my thoughts. These celebrations should be about the celebration, but we seem to get caught up in the food aspect. Too bad.

Enjoy what you can when you can.

Anonymous said...

We're having Thanksgiving tomorrow (Sunday), because who wants to go through all the hassle on Monday only to have to clean everything up before going to work the next day?

Also-- there are these smaller just-a-turkey-breast things, if you can't live without turkey.

Any way you slice it (hee-- see the pun there?), I hope you have a great day with your son.

Jeni said...

Gotta agree with you on working on holidays - cause it does suck - swamp water, big time! The last restaurant job I had, along with the one working for the weather forecasting place both involved operations that were open 24/7, 365 days a year and 366 days in Leap Year too. And I usually got nailed to work the holidays for one reason or another. Actually, at the weather place, I would volunteer to work New Year's Eve and New Year's Day because I never had any one to go anyplace special with and so many of my co-workers there were young, wanting to party ya know. Christmas was always a bit of a problem though because if I had to work, that meant my kids were alone then on probably the biggest event of the year but they learned that we all had to "give and take" on that stuff, unfortunately.